Born without arms, not without attitude!
Nicky Abdinor is an expert on doing MORE, with less.
Nicky is a registered Clinical Psychologist, international speaker, and founder of the non-profit organisation, Nicky’s Drive. Nicky has a passion for challenging our perceptions of ABILITY. She is a firm believer that it’s not our situation, but how we THINK about our situation, that determines our emotional well-being.
Nicky is a sought-after inspirational keynote speaker who gained international recognition following her TEDx talk, "Driving Dreams." She was awarded the 2022 “Speaker Hall of Fame” award, a great honour through the Professional Speakers Association of South Africa. Nicky has presented talks as far as Europe, the USA, Middle East and Australia – and now will be chatting to us from her office in Cape Town
Some key points from our interview:
· How unbroken means finding meaning in our perceived brokenness
· How there was no medical explanation for being born without arms and shortened legs
· How her parents always focused on what she could do and not what she couldn’t which led to her never seeing her limitations
· How it was never a question of can Nicky do this? but how
· How she focused on academics and trained as a psychologist
· How she believes her humour helps her with her positive attitude
· How meeting a client who had lost and arm and a leg in an accident made her realise she should share her story to motivate others
· How a woman in the UK gifted her an adapted car and she said driving gave her wings
· How she started a non profit organisation to help other people with disabilities get their car adapted to meet their needs
· How she believes it’s so important to not ignore what is wrong, but focus more on what is right
TEDx talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJV9LG9-Vp0
Short of time but want to tune in?
Watch Short Vlog Versions on our You Tube Channel HERE