My guest this week is true example of what grit, determination and reliance look like
Steve Dowd committed to get fit and agreed to compete in a charity cycling event.
He bought a bike, started training and rode to work like thousands of others.
Early one Summer morning he was headed to a friend’s flat to do the daily commute together, but never arrived…
A freak accident completely changed the path of his life.
He share's with us his unlikely journey of recovery and how he approached his situation to achieve his greatest successes to date.
Knowing all that it's not surprising to hear that he speaks about challenge, forced change and resilience as a professional speaker.
Some key points from our interview:
* How he was told by his consultant that his injuries were so devastating that he wasn't sure what he would get back – he was 37
* How fortunate he feels to be one of fifty people that was enrolled in an experimental surgery for his particular type of injury to save some of his nervous tissue
* How he believes resilience is something we all have and we have different keys to open it up in different ways at different times in our life
* How he had to learn to ignore his inner critic that often sat on his shoulder
* How he's now addicted to challenge and taking himself to the edge which is where he feels he learns a lot about himself
"If you know you can get out of the hole, you don't step in the hole" – Steve Dowd
You can get more info about Steve here:
* * * *
"Unbroken: Healing Through Storytelling" features individuals who have all triumphed after adversity and have not just bounced back in life, but forward and are now making a difference for others.
Hosted by Madeleine Black, the show will share stories of all the amazing people Madeleine has met on her own journey as an author/speaker and these stories will heal, motivate, inspire and bring hope when they share their wisdom and knowledge with her.
She really believes in the power that comes when we share our stories, that in fact we are not story tellers but story healers. Tune in to discover what helped them to stay unbroken and together we will discover that none of us are broken beyond repair.
You can find out more about Madeleine, her story and her memoir, Unbroken, from her website: https://madeleineblack.co.uk/
Watch edited highlights on YouTube:
Follow on Instagram:
Short of time but want to tune in?
Watch Short Vlog Versions on our You Tube Channel HERE