Loved talking to Orlando as he is such a force for change and good, and has this incredibly resilient approach to see gifts everywhere, even in extreme adversity!
Orlando Bowen is a former professional football player and currently a community advocate and inspirational speaker. In 2004, after his fourth season as a pro athlete, two undercover police officers who did not identify themselves, approached him in a parking lot.
They accused him of dealing drugs, kicked and beat him leading to a severe concussion. Bowen was acquitted of any wrongdoing and just before his acquittal, one of the officers was charged with possession and trafficking cocaine and eventually convicted and sent to prison.
Bowen’s football career, however, was over. Even though the injury ended his career prematurely, Bowen chose to inspire others through his work with young people and as a public speaker.
As a sign of his character, he publicly forgave the two officers for their actions and works to equip people to see the humanity in others and to be willing to stand for that humanity.
He also founded a youth leadership charity called One Voice One Team Youth Leadership Organization to empower and equip youth to see beyond their current circumstances and make a difference in the lives of others.
Some key points from our interview:
* How there were so many similarities with the murder of George Floyd and his situation, as he really thought he was going to die on that evening
* How he faith helped him to believe that there was something bigger for him that playing sport
* How he has used this experience to give him a new perspective which he is grateful for
* How this has made him realise that his purpose in life is to serve others
* How his youth leadership charity (One Voice, One Team) is a gift for community and is passionate about making a difference
* How he recognises that we all have gifts to share even if they come from a place of adversity
"I am human being because of the humanity in you" – Orlando Bown
Find out more about Orlando here: https://www.orlandobowen.com
* * * *
"Unbroken: Healing Through Storytelling" features individuals who have all triumphed after adversity and have not just bounced back in life, but forward and are now making a difference for others.
Hosted by Madeleine Black, the show will share stories of all the amazing people Madeleine has met on her own journey as an author/speaker and these stories will heal, motivate, inspire and bring hope when they share their wisdom and knowledge with her.
She really believes in the power that comes when we share our stories, that in fact we are not story tellers but story healers. Tune in to discover what helped them to stay unbroken and together we will discover that none of us are broken beyond repair.
You can find out more about Madeleine, her story and her memoir, Unbroken, from her website: https://madeleineblack.co.uk/
Watch edited highlights on YouTube:
Follow on Instagram:
Short of time but want to tune in?
Watch Short Vlog Versions on our You Tube Channel HERE