My conversation with Mary was both captivating and shocking!
Life was going great for her until one day she received a phone call from a woman
At that point, Mary was a business advisor for the Scottish Enterprise Network, married with three children, and owned her own home – then in April 2006 she got that phone call – from her husband’s other wife!
Not only was he a bigamist but he was also a con man who had ripped her off for just under £200k and had left her £56k in debt on credit cards he had taken out in her name.
She was left homeless, broke, and unemployed with three children to support on her own. Rather than letting it break her she decided to use the experience for good and wrote her first book, ‘The Bigamist’, which came out in 2007.
Her second true crime memoir is being launch on 1st March titled ‘The Psychopath’. Mary is now an international best-selling author and speaker, able to talk about topics from recovery to psychopaths, as well as a writing coach and publishing consultant
Some key points from our interview:
- How she’s learnt to continually fight and keep going on
- How looking back, she now realises she had been a victim of coercive control
- How her experiences with her husband have given her huge insights into psychopaths and is an expert in understanding them
- How her childhood experiences helped her to find the strength to refuse to be a victim again
- How her recovery from childhood sexual abuse taught her she had a choice in how she responded and knew she could recover
- How she discovered she a very high functioning empath
- How she learnt to laugh and love again
- How she now shares her story to speak out to end the shame for others
Reach out to Mary here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/maryturnerthomson/
* * * *
"Unbroken: Healing Through Storytelling" features individuals who have all triumphed after adversity and have not just bounced back in life, but forward and are now making a difference for others.
Hosted by Madeleine Black, the show will share stories of all the amazing people Madeleine has met on her own journey as an author/speaker and these stories will heal, motivate, inspire and bring hope when they share their wisdom and knowledge with her.
She really believes in the power that comes when we share our stories, that in fact we are not story tellers but story healers. Tune in to discover what helped them to stay unbroken and together we will discover that none of us are broken beyond repair.
You can find out more about Madeleine, her story and her memoir, Unbroken, from her website: https://madeleineblack.co.uk/
Watch the Podcast via YouTube:
Follow on Instagram: