In this episode I speak to the courageous Colin G Higgins, who was groomed and abuse by two paedophiles when he was a young teenager.
They joked about murdering a woman and he knew that he couldn't keep quiet, so he became a whistle blower which led to their conviction, so that no one else would have to suffer like he did
He believes that Laughter Truly Is the Best Medicine!, and is a stand up comic.
He is a relative newcomer to stand-up but has been on the comedy scene for many years behind the scenes. Colin runs the comedy club Jesters at Jimmy's in Park Bar, Glasgow and appeared in the documentary on Billy Connolly for BBC Scotland in 2020 titled 'Billy and Us'
Some key points from our interview:
- How he was instrumental in the conviction of the two paedophiles that had murdered a woman, when he went to the police
- How he recognises that he became self destructive due to the abuse and trauma he experienced as a teenager
- How he realised he was not the only boy being abused by these men
- How when he heard their threats made towards his mother his anger and fear made him realise that he had to tell someone
- How he discovered that therapy is not easy but so worthwhile
"When we laugh, we win" – Colin G Higgins
You can get more information about Colin here:
* * * *
"Unbroken: Healing Through Storytelling" features individuals who have all triumphed after adversity and have not just bounced back in life, but forward and are now making a difference for others.
Hosted by Madeleine Black, the show will share stories of all the amazing people Madeleine has met on her own journey as an author/speaker and these stories will heal, motivate, inspire and bring hope when they share their wisdom and knowledge with her.
She really believes in the power that comes when we share our stories, that in fact we are not story tellers but story healers. Tune in to discover what helped them to stay unbroken and together we will discover that none of us are broken beyond repair.
You can find out more about Madeleine, her story and her memoir, Unbroken, from her website: https://madeleineblack.co.uk/
Watch edited highlights on YouTube:
Follow on Instagram:
Short of time but want to tune in?
Watch Short Vlog Versions on our You Tube Channel HERE