Anneke is Dutch born and Australian bred. At the age of 21 she was about as bold as she could be. She took the step, like a lot of Aussies, to venture to Europe… for 6 months. 20 years later she finally returned. Broken, but she returned
She survived the Belgium terror attack when Brussels airport was bombed in March 2016 and was close enough to feel the bombs, hear the screams.
She was able to wipe the tears away from injured people and hold hands with those in pain… feel helpless for those she lost.
The wounds this experience had on her mind, heart and soul took a long time to heal. She had to relearn how to live, breath, eat and sleep.
Without the right support she wouldn’t be here today, she wouldn’t be able to talk with me right now and share with the value of ‘heart happy’.
Appreciating the small lights in life that give space for future hope.
Some key points from our interview:
· How she will not let anything defeat her and is determined to grow from her experience
· How her instinct was to go back into the airport and help where she could, despite the threat that there maybe more explosions from other bombs
· How her inner critique let her think that she was a failure following the bombing
· How it was only when she moved away from Brussels and back home to Australia that she got the emotional support she needed
· How she discovered that her day gets better when she looks for the joy and is grateful
· How she works on being kind to herself to make herself “heart happy”
You can contact Anneke here
Hosted by Madeleine Black, the show will share stories of all the amazing people Madeleine has met on her own journey as an author/speaker and these stories will heal, motivate, inspire and bring hope when they share their wisdom and knowledge with her.
She really believes in the power that comes when we share our stories, that in fact we are not story tellers but story healers. Tune in to discover what helped them to stay unbroken and together we will discover that none of us are broken beyond repair.
You can find out more about Madeleine, her story and her memoir, Unbroken, from her website: https://madeleineblack.co.uk/
Watch edited highlights on YouTube:
Short of time but want to tune in?
Watch Short Vlog Versions on our You Tube Channel HERE