In this episode I speak to the sporting legend, Colin Jackson
He recently presented a BBC Panorama documentary about eating disorders amongst elite athletes and he briefly mentioned his own struggles but I wanted to hear more about his own journey with anorexia and bulimia.
Colin is Great Britain’s Legendary Hurdler, Multiple Gold Medallist & World Record Holder, and broadcaster.
He is currently busy rehearsing for Dancing On Ice with his skating partner and I can't wait to watch!
Some key points from our interview:
- How he feels he may have enjoyed his career more if he didn't have an eating disorder
- How his obsession with getting faster led to his eating disorder
- How he survived on only 700-800 calories a day as an elite athlete
- How he felt ashamed and the shame kept him quiet
- How he now understands that the correct nutrition can make the difference which is why he agreed to make the documentary to help others
- How he practices positivity on a daily basis and believes in the power of smiling for himself and others to project goodness
"We are on this planet for a very limited time, make it as good as possible" – Colin Jackson
* * * *
"Unbroken: Healing Through Storytelling" features individuals who have all triumphed after adversity and have not just bounced back in life, but forward and are now making a difference for others.
Hosted by Madeleine Black, the show will share stories of all the amazing people Madeleine has met on her own journey as an author/speaker and these stories will heal, motivate, inspire and bring hope when they share their wisdom and knowledge with her.
She really believes in the power that comes when we share our stories, that in fact we are not story tellers but story healers. Tune in to discover what helped them to stay unbroken and together we will discover that none of us are broken beyond repair.
You can find out more about Madeleine, her story and her memoir, Unbroken, from her website: https://madeleineblack.co.uk/
Watch edited highlights on YouTube:
Follow on Instagram:
Short of time but want to tune in?
Watch Short Vlog Versions on our You Tube Channel HERE