Laura Dockrill is an award winning writer and illustrator.
In this episode we have an honest and frank discussion about a mental health illness that left Laura paranoid, hallucinating and not knowing who to trust
In 2018 after the birth of her son, Jet, Laura was hit, completely out of the blue, with a rare and debilitating mental illness that she says pretty much tried to kill her – Postpartum Psychosis
Her baby was just two weeks when she was hospitalised as she was so ill.
Now she has recovered, she is on a crusade to smash the stigma, shame and silence surrounding one of life's best kept secrets.
Some key points from our interview:
- How initially shame kept her quiet but she learnt to challenge her own shame around mental health issues
- How writing her blog really helped which eventually led to her book
- How she understands that talking really helped her
- How she discovered that she needed supporting help from others
- How she is now able to reassure others that recovery is possible
- How accepting she had no control really helped in her recovery
- How she learnt that one of the most important lessons in her recovery, was to take as long as she needs to get better
* * * *
"Unbroken: Healing Through Storytelling" features individuals who have all triumphed after adversity and have not just bounced back in life, but forward and are now making a difference for others.
Hosted by Madeleine Black, the show will share stories of all the amazing people Madeleine has met on her own journey as an author/speaker and these stories will heal, motivate, inspire and bring hope when they share their wisdom and knowledge with her.
She really believes in the power that comes when we share our stories, that in fact we are not story tellers but story healers. Tune in to discover what helped them to stay unbroken and together we will discover that none of us are broken beyond repair.
You can find out more about Madeleine, her story and her memoir, Unbroken, from her website: https://madeleineblack.co.uk/
Watch edited highlights on YouTube:
Follow on Instagram:
Short of time but want to tune in?
Watch Short Vlog Versions on our You Tube Channel HERE