Trigger warning: We discuss rape and suicide which some listeners may find distrurbing.
Mike says that his identity is not in his professional title, wealth, successes, failures, tragedies, relationships, but in Jesus Christ alone. He owes his life to Him.
He’s had an accomplished career with a few accolades. He’s been an audiologist for 34 years and have seen well over 70,000 patients. He’s worked in Navy and private hospitals to include NICUs; Associate Professor at IPFW University; Private Practice Owner, and currently administers compensation and pension exams to Veterans.
He is married to a wonderful woman Kate and has three grown up children. He feels that the tragedies in his life became the springboard to make a difference locally, nationally, and internationally. And believes that regardless of differences as individuals, we all have a universal need to be loved, respected, and wanted. He chooses to make a concerted effort to make this world better one person at a time and found the best way, was to get over himself and his struggles is to help others.
Some key points from our interview:
· How he struggled with the guilt that he should have protected his wife.
· How he had to find a way to not listen to other people’s judgments and gossip.
· How he protected his children from the truth that their mother had been raped.
· How he encouraged his children to tell their mother that they forgave her when she was in a coma just before she died.
· How he recognised that his faith has played such a big part in his own recovery.
· How he recognises that it’s important not to isolate yourself and to surround yourself with good people for support.
· How he recognises that good can come from the very darkest of times.
* * *
"Unbroken: Healing Through Storytelling" features individuals who have all triumphed after adversity and have not just bounced back in life, but forward and are now making a difference for others.
Hosted by Madeleine Black, the show will share stories of all the amazing people Madeleine has met on her own journey as an author/speaker and these stories will heal, motivate, inspire and bring hope when they share their wisdom and knowledge with her.
She really believes in the power that comes when we share our stories, that in fact we are not story tellers but story healers. Tune in to discover what helped them to stay unbroken and together we will discover that none of us are broken beyond repair.
You can find out more about Madeleine, her story and her memoir, Unbroken, from her website: https://madeleineblack.co.uk/
Watch edited highlights on YouTube:
Follow on Instagram:
Short of time but want to tune in?
Watch Short Vlog Versions on our You Tube Channel HERE